Located in the scenic mountainous region of Asir in Western Saudi Arabia, this complex engages in an interesting dialogue with the rich spectrum of local architectural styles. Where buildings flair is determined by their position (altitude) on the mountain range, typologies vary from adobe construction at the lower foot hills to a stone construction on the uppers slopes.
The project draws strongly on influence from the style of Abha, whilst introducing elements from further afield in the higher parts of the mountains, thereby being of a more regional interpretation. The building is a modernist realization of these styles and plays with a variety of material and earth tones.
The mosque serves to accommodate 1680 males and 290 females on a mezzanine level. Other accommodation provided in the complex includes the local offices for the PVPV as well as residences for the Imam and Muathen.